Dementia is a debilitating condition that affects millions of individuals across the globe. Unfortunately, there are still numerous misunderstandings concerning what dementia entails and how it affects those who suffer from this disease. To gain further insight into this critical issue, let’s learn five facts about dementia you may not be aware of – ranging from its causes to its mental health implications. By arming ourselves with more knowledge on this serious subject matter, we can better support and sympathize with those living with dementia every day.
1. Dementia is a broad term that encompasses an extensive range of diseases and conditions, all with similar indicators. These could include Alzheimer’s Disease, vascular dementia, Lewy Body dementia, or frontotemporal dementia – just to name a few.
2. Though dementia is traditionally associated with memory issues, it can also cause difficulty in other areas. People may find their reasoning and problem-solving skills impacted without any change to their memory – indicating that not all forms of dementia are characterized by forgetfulness.
3. It’s a common misconception that depression doesn’t accompany dementia, but the truth is quite different. Researchers estimate that up to 40% of individuals with dementia suffer from some form of depression. To ensure those affected receive proper treatment and support, it is essential to be aware of the symptoms associated with this condition.
4. Exercise is critical to keeping dementia at bay. Through consistent physical exertion, one can enhance their mental capacities and potentially delay the onset of deterioration associated with this condition.
5. Although dementia is progressive and has the potential to be fatal, those living with this condition can still lead happy lives. With an abundance of care and support from loved ones, individuals suffering from dementia can socialize, pursue hobbies, and further enjoy life’s moments just like anyone else!
Dementia is a devastating condition that affects millions of people around the world.
How Avanti Senior Living at Covington Helps Residents with Dementia
By understanding more about dementia, we can better provide care for those living with it. This is where Avanti Senior Living at Covington comes in. With tenderness and understanding, we provide the highest level of care to all our residents – especially those living with dementia. Our compassionate staff is specifically trained in caring for individuals with this condition while striving to craft an atmosphere that enables them to age gracefully while continuing their favorite activities.
If you ever have any questions or require aid in your journey, do not hesitate to reach out to Avanti Senior Living and/or the local Alzheimer’s Association for help and tools. By working together, let us make a positive change in all of those living with dementia!